STC Board Teleconference Notes - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

Loading...

PPT – STC Board Teleconference Notes PowerPoint presentation | free to view - id: b03dd-YzFlM



Loading


The Adobe Flash plugin is needed to view this content

Get the plugin now

View by Category
About This Presentation
Title:

STC Board Teleconference Notes

Description:

Working with Chair of Virtual Community Task Force on budget expectations of non ... SIG Leaders sharing lessons learned thru SIG Leaders' list ... – PowerPoint PPT presentation

Number of Views:58
Avg rating:3.0/5.0
Slides: 45
Provided by: Bogo
Category:

less

Write a Comment
User Comments (0)
Transcript and Presenter's Notes

Title: STC Board Teleconference Notes


1
STC Board Teleconference Notes
  • 19 July 2006

2
Financial Area Report
3
Treasurers Report
Treasurer W.C. Wiese
  • Accomplishments
  • Through May, received 96 of income vs. 81 of
    expenses
  • Notified presidents of community funding
    commitment office letter expected next week
  • In Progress
  • All Board changes to preliminary budget due this
    month
  • Community Treasurer Guidelines reviewed for
    update
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Hold Board call to walk through budget in August
  • Change business case threshold to be more
    realistic
  • Complete budget update for October vote
  • Revise Community Treasurer Guidelines

4
SIG Funding Pilot
Chair W.C. Wiese
  • Accomplishments
  • Bi-weekly concalls instituted
  • Face-to-face with 2 financial services providers
    charter sent to office
  • Working with Chair of Virtual Community Task
    Force on budget expectations of non-pilot SIGs
  • Reviewed budget template and expectations with
    SIG Managers
  • Received a well-formatted, detailed budget from
    IDL SIG
  • In Progress
  • Awaiting two Employer Identification Numbers
    (EINs) from IRS
  • Reviewing conference call providers
  • Pilot SIG to submit additional funding details
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Send RFP for community banking select financial
    services partner
  • Revise Community Treasurer Guidelines document
  • Approve budgets for 3 pilot participants
  • Complete review of SIG Budget requests present
    to WC and Board for approval
  • Distribute ½ of SIG funds in last half of 2006 ½
    in January 2007
  • Begin writing guidelines for future pilot
    communities

5
Executive Director and Office Report
6
Executive Director Update
Interim Executive Director Rob Moran
  • Accomplishments/In Progress
  • Signed LISA Contract
  • Designed Management Staff Budget Process
  • Transitioning to a Yes-If mentality
  • Concluding all business of the transition from
    Interim Executive Director to new Executive
    Director
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Community Task Force Implementation
  • Hotel Negotiations - Minneapolis
  • Developing policies with legal counsel on
    limiting Society liability and exposure
  • Filling Education positions

7
Presidents Report
8
Presidents Report
President Paula Berger
  • Accomplishments/In Progress
  • Sent first News Notes email
  • Preparing letter and questionnaire for Community
    Business Model Task Force
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Marketing planning meeting at office on July 31
    with Chairman of Marketing Committee, Executive
    Director, and Director of Marketing and
    Membership
  • Attend ASAE conference in Boston meet with
    Executive Director there
  • Arrange meeting with tekom
  • Work with Certification Evaluation Task Force

9
Communication Area Report
10
Communication Area Update
Area Leads Cindy Currie / Jeff Staples
  • Accomplishments
  • Completed final draft of the Communication
    Strategy and distributed to the board for review
    and feedback.
  • Met with members of the Marketing and PR teams
    (including their STC Office Liaisons) to discuss
    how we can all work together most effectively.
  • In Progress
  • Complete budget for Communications Area.
  • Began creating the first in a potential series of
    ideas for more effective communication.
    Received input from Communications Team members
    that needs to be incorporated, and then this
    first one should be ready.
  • Continue gathering new content for Committees and
    Board web pages (almost finished). Page building
    in progress, and looking seriously at launch
    dates now.

11
Communication Area Update (cont)
Area Leads Cindy Currie / Jeff Staples
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Enhance and re-launch Board webpage with
    bios/photos (Aug)
  • Design and launch Committees web page with
    committee descriptions and bio/photos of
    committee chairs. (Aug-Sep)
  • Develop metrics and measures for STC
    Communication (Jul-Sep)

12
Communication Department
Office Liaison Maurice Martin
  • Accomplishments
  • Call For Proposal (CFP) announcement sent to STC
    membership
  • Developed HTML e-mail format for distribution of
    Presidents News Notes
  • Drafted and sent message to chapters about
    Executive Directors tour
  • Provided photo and bio for Communication Team Web
    page
  • In Progress
  • Redesign of Preliminary Program
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • INTECOM announcement
  • Begin spotlighting Minneapolis

13
Member Communication Committee
Chair Brenda Huettner
  • Accomplishments
  • Added two volunteers to team
  • In Progress
  • Creating Member Communication Guidelines document
  • Continue recruiting more volunteers
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Establish Fresh Eyes team

14
Publications Committee
Chair Karen Field
  • Accomplishments
  • Completed interviews with Intercom, Technical
    Publications, and Tieline Editors
  • Completed charter
  • In Progress
  • Researching survey tools for member surveys
  • Creating screening criteria for members
  • Budgeting Pubs work
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Recruit 3-5 committee members
  • Choose survey tool
  • Begin working with editors to draft survey
    questions

15
Website Committee
Chair Bogo Vatovec
  • Accomplishments
  • Approved charter by the sponsors and Interim
    Executive Director
  • In Progress
  • Project plan and estimations
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Issue two calls for volunteers
  • Start first activities
  • Establish communication methods

16
Professional Development Area Report
17
Competitions Committee
Chair Karen Baranich
  • Accomplishments
  • Completed updates on all ITAC, ITPC, and ITOCC
    forms and documents.
  • Updated STC Competitions website (with managers,
    office, and local/regional managers)
  • In Progress
  • Ongoing Developing a detailed time
    line/responsibilities checklist for ITAC, ITPC,
    and ITOCC
  • Ongoing Update STC website as information is
    received from local/regional competitions
  • Continuing to field questions and concerns from
    local/regional managers
  • Beginning evaluations of ALL local/regional
    competition guidelines and best practices

18
Competitions Committee
Chair Karen Baranich
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Hold strategic planning sessions with competition
    managers and RAC
  • Provide additional resources to chapters using
    the STC website (sample news releases,
    certificate templates, letters to judges, etc.)
  • Open dialogue to assess feasibility of a student
    competition at the college/graduate level
  • Issues, Risks, and Concerns
  • Replacement of RAC Members
  • Role of international portion of competition and
    ways to integrate these into the process
  • Need to develop strategies for making
    competitions more cost effective
  • Need strategies for making competitions (all
    competitions, all levels) more visible and
    prestigious
  • Development of EFFECTIVE across-the-board
    training for judges

19
Standards Council
Chair Annette Reilly
  • Accomplishments
  • Continued to vote on ISO JTC 1 SC7, IEEE, and
    NISO standards
  • George Hayhoe received comments from 8 select STC
    reviewers of ISO 26514 (Standard for developers
    and designers of user documentation) and prepared
    a revised version (119 pp.), including an updated
    bibliography. Forwarded for ISO first (Committee
    Draft) ballot which concludes 10 Oct 06. STC
    Member comments welcome on this ballot.
  • Posted meeting minutes and concept of operation
    to SC7 for ISO 24765 (Standard software and
    systems engineering vocabulary)
  • In Progress
  • Preparing STC application for OASIS membership as
    approved by the Board in May

20
Standards Council (cont)
Chair Annette Reilly
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Complete draft of ISO 24765 (Standard software
    and systems engineering vocabulary). Review the
    public version of the online application.
    Development has been delayed due to staffing
    turnover in the IEEE Computer Society support
    team.
  • Submit request for continuation of IEEE Std
    1063-2001 Software User Documentation until it is
    replaced by ISO 24765.
  • Continue participation in ISO, IEEE, OASIS, W3C,
    and NISO activities
  • Prepare budget request for board approval
  • Participate in ISO JTC1 SC7 US Technical Advisory
    Group meeting 18-20 September 2006 in Seattle
  • Notes
  • ISO JTC 1 SC7 WG2 would like to meet concurrently
    with an STC regional conference in the US in
    October 2007.

21
Research Grants Committee
Chair Rachel Spilka
  • Accomplishments
  • Explored ways to promote STC-funded research with
    Chairman of PR Committee.
  • Submitted draft of article to Intercom on
    Research Grant Committees purpose, focus, and
    members.
  • Worked with staff regarding fall Intercom
    submissions.
  • Persuaded key member to rejoin the committee as a
    practitioner representative
  • Distributed 3 large grant proposals and 9 10K
    pre-proposals to the committee for July review
  • In Progress
  • Preparing a summary of ways to promote STC funded
    research
  • Reviewing the proposal submissions to prepare for
    August discussions
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Summarize committee reviews of large grant and
    10K proposals
  • Set up August conference call

22
Marketing Area Report
23
Marketing Area Update
Lead Mark Clifford
  • Accomplishments
  • 1st draft marketing charter
  • In Progress
  • Defining budgetary requirements
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Marketing Plan formal presentation in October
  • Meeting with Executive Director and Director of
    Membership and Marketing at end of July

24
Organizational Partnerships Committee
Chair Andrea Ames
  • In Progress
  • Partnerships
  • Prioritize list of all organizations
  • Template for partnerships (to be refined as we
    establish more partnerships and learn)
  • Discussions with targeted associations
  • Business model template (with Membership Area
    Lead)
  • World Usability Day (WUD) (by 14 July)
  • Vision statement for STCs involvement
  • WUD Web page on STC site
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Finalize committee members
  • Partnerships
  • Initiate high-priority discussions and assign to
    appropriate liaisons
  • Complete LISA business case for August conference
    call

25
Sponsorship Committee
Chair Sally Spahn/TBA
  • In Progress
  • Beginning research on possible corporate sponsors
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Work with committee on charter and strategic plan

26
INTECOM
Chair Suzanna Laurent
  • Accomplishments
  • STC membership approved
  • STC representative Suzanna Laurent elected Vice
    President of INTECOM
  • Forum2007 postponed until 2008
  • Invited INTECOM to hold their next annual general
    meeting (AGM) in Minneapolis
  • Comprehensive report sent to STC Board of
    Directors
  • Participated in two work groups
  • Made agreement with tekom to hold annual meetings
    to discuss ways we can work together to promote
    technical communication
  • In Progress
  • Is STC interested in submitting a proposal for
    Forum2008?
  • Member Communication Chair and Public Relations
    Chair working on announcement articles
  • INTECOM setting date and location for their next
    AGM
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Prepare minutes (for Secretary General who
    resigned)
  • Start review of Constitution/Bylaws

27
Public Relations Committee
Chair Rich Maggiani
  • Accomplishments
  • First call completed
  • Assignments given
  • In Progress
  • Defining our PR audience
  • Next conference call with committee
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Write goals and objective PR committee charter
  • Create publicity and PR primer
  • (Re)evaluating STC brand
  • Distribution list for publicity
  • Press/Media kit

28
Communities Affairs Area Report
29
Community Recognition Committee
Chair Tom Barnett
  • Accomplishments
  • Compiled single list of 101 criteria from 3
    checklists
  • Removed 27 non-controllable items added 20 new
    ones
  • In Progress
  • Team is working to reduce the criteria
    significantly
  • Modifying Web form as criteria and envisioned
    process change
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Complete criteria overhaul
  • Prototype Web form Web form approved

30
LCR Update
Chair De Murr
  • Accomplishments
  • Recognition of Leaders Committee began
    development of criteria for Volunteer of the Year
    Award
  • In Progress
  • Fill management positions in People and develop
    LCR Organization Chart
  • Contact all leaders in former Region 2 and Region
    3
  • Review and submit for approval the Criteria for a
    Community in Crisis (Triage Committee)
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Develop and publish LCR business plan for 2006-07

31
CAC Fast Start Leadership Guide
Chair Mike Murray
  • Accomplishments
  • Sent letter to key volunteers regarding possible
    task conflict
  • In Progress
  • Drafting minimum requirements for approval
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Finalize requirements and suggested Table of
    Contents
  • Identify subject matter experts and solicit
    bulleted ideas
  • Expand on appropriate ideas
  • Complete first draft for review and further input

32
Virtual Communities
Chair Judith Herr
  • Accomplishments
  • SIG Leaders sharing lessons learned thru SIG
    Leaders list
  • CIC SIG election documented process/lessons
    learned for other SIGs anticipating holding an
    election
  • Experienced SIG managers coaching others in
    preparing for SIG conference activities
    estimating expenditures for planned activities
    testing discussion list tool hosting Webinar
  • In Progress
  • Developing discussion list guidelines
  • SIG-sponsored conference proposals combining
    forces
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Drafting FAQs, checklists for new SIG managers
    reimbursements, interface with office, etc.
  • Completing estimate of SIG expenditures for
    FY2006-2007

33
Community Business Model
Chairs Mike Murray and Susan Burton
  • Accomplishments
  • Completed 90 of task force invitation list
  • In Progress
  • Completing task team invitation list
  • Editing Moran summary document and Berger
    Community Business Model invitation documents
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Complete task force meeting face-to-face or
    virtual
  • Have complete draft of model ready for February
    Board meeting

34
Region Reports
35
Region 1
Director Cindy Currie
  • Some communities are still holding transition of
    leadership events.
  • Many communities still have questions about
    community funding for this year.
  • Community leaders have been asked to consider if
    they have senior members who might be appropriate
    to nominate for Associate Fellow this year.

36
Region 7
Director John Hedtke
  • Accomplishments
  • Action item Korea Chapter ready for
    ratification!
  • Vote will be held later in this meeting.
  • In Progress
  • Jing Tan et al working on forming China chapter
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Ratifying China chapter
  • More N.A. sponsorship

37
Education Area Report
38
Education Area
Lead John Hedtke
  • Accomplishments
  • Conference First Conference Action Committee
    phone call scheduled (7/24, 900am ET). Call for
    Proposals emailed.
  • Training Objectives identified.
  • In Progress
  • Heavy discussions (Training Conference) on what
    a certificate program should be and how to
    implement them for 2007 conference
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Conference creating policies on detailed issues
    (partnerships, compensation for speakers,
    certificate programs, etc.)
  • Training Posting RFP (mid Aug), proposals in
    hand (mid Sep), populate training program (late
    Oct)

39
Membership Area Report
40
Membership Area Update
Lead Jim Romano
  • In Progress
  • Work on Corporate Value Program (CVP) continuing
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Planned meetings with UK- and European-based
    companies of several sizes and types who may be
    candidates for the CVP. Goals are to
  • Increase CVP participation and awareness in
    Europe
  • Increase membership, via CVP participation
  • Maximize the ROI of our trip to the UK

41
Secretarys Report Administration and Operations
Area Report
42
Secretarys Update
Secretary Char James-Tanny
  • Accomplishments
  • Sent updated slide template to committee chairs.
  • Attended Finance Committee meetings.
  • Answered questions, forwarded documents, updated
    slides, etc.
  • Corrected Annual Business Meeting Report
    uploaded to STC site.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Start working on Web-based Communication System.

43
Calendar and Action Items
44
Calendar Items
  • Schedule of teleconference meetings
  • 16 August 2006 (slides due 14 August)
  • 20 September 2006 (slides due 18 September)
  • 15 November 2006 (slides due 13 November)
  • Next face-to-face Board Meetings
  • 12-13 October 2006 in London
  • 2-3 February 2007 in Arlington, VA
About PowerShow.com