STC Board Teleconference Notes - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

Loading...

PPT – STC Board Teleconference Notes PowerPoint presentation | free to view - id: ac8b0-ZmZkZ



Loading


The Adobe Flash plugin is needed to view this content

Get the plugin now

View by Category
About This Presentation
Title:

STC Board Teleconference Notes

Description:

Standards Council. Issues, Risks, and Concerns ... a concurrent WG2 meeting with an STC North American conference in October 2007. ... – PowerPoint PPT presentation

Number of Views:125
Avg rating:3.0/5.0
Slides: 65
Provided by: Bogo
Category:

less

Write a Comment
User Comments (0)
Transcript and Presenter's Notes

Title: STC Board Teleconference Notes


1
STC Board Teleconference Notes
  • 16 August 2006

DO NOT DISTRIBUTE
2
Agenda
  • Call to order
  • Attendance
  • Approval of Minutes
  • Before We Begin
  • Executive Director will discuss various
    communication items
  • Action Pass
  • Vote to approve rechartering of three chapters
    (Washington, D.C. Central Ohio West Michigan
    Shores
  • Information Pass
  • Quick review of slides -- key points only
  • Note any new discussion items
  • Any other new information
  • Any other business
  • Calendar
  • Action Items
  • Adjourn

3
Executive Director and Office Report
4
Executive Director and Office Update
Executive Director Susan Burton, CAE
  • Accomplishments/In Progress
  • First staff meeting start culture
    change/communication
  • Started IT audit hardware, software
  • Started legal audit quorum, communities,
    fiduciary responsibilities of board, STC
    trademark
  • Hotel negotiations Minneapolis
  • Developing budget with management staff
  • Determining costs and configuration of new phone
    system
  • Exploring Instant Messaging

5
Executive Director Update
Executive Director Susan Burton, CAE
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Financial audit
  • Association organizational audit
  • HR audit market comparisons of benefits and
    salary, regulatory processes, personnel manual
  • Community Business Model Task Force
    implementation
  • Filling Education positions
  • Reevaluate decision to stop selling mailing list
  • Issues, Risks, and Concerns
  • Leadership aspirations and member desires
    outstrip current capacity to respond effectively
    and efficiently

6
Financial Area Report
7
Treasurers Report
Treasurer W.C. Wiese
  • Accomplishments
  • Finished revising STC Community Treasurers
    Guidelines
  • Now in review by SIG Funding Team and STC Office
  • In Progress
  • Awaiting STC Office budget input
  • Awaiting June/end-of-fiscal-year data from STC
    Office
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Discuss value of business case threshold
  • Hold Board call to walk through budget
  • Complete budget revision for October vote

8
SIG Funding Pilot
Chair W.C. Wiese
  • Accomplishments
  • Received funding requests from pilot SIGs
  • Received EINs for pilot and virtual SIGs office
    distributed
  • Met with pilot SIGs after reviewing budgets to
    announce approval and gain insight into how well
    the process worked
  • Initial bid list and Financial Services (online
    banking) RFP completed for use by STC Office
  • In Progress
  • Work with STC Treasurer to incorporate budget
    guidelines and template structure from SIG pilot
  • Ask STC Treasurer to distribute funds to SIGs
  • Monitor spending action of pilot SIGs after money
    is distributed
  • Review revised STC Community Treasurers
    Guidelines
  • Office to send RFP for online banking to
    candidate vendors
  • Reviewing conference calling concepts

9
SIG Funding Pilot
Chair W.C. Wiese
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Monitoring pilot SIGs and proposed budgets until
    end of year
  • Begin working on geographical community selection
    for next pilot, with funds to be distributed for
    the 2007-2008 fiscal year
  • Conduct field research in India during committee
    members trip
  • Select financial services partner from RFP
    respondents
  • Comment and distribute STC Community Treasurers
    Guidelines
  • Upcoming Newsworthy Events (to Members)
  • Funding model pilot is officially started with
    three SIGs next up selecting three geographic
    communities (small-medium-large) or accepting
    community volunteers to participate in pilot

10
Presidents Report
11
Presidents Report
President Paula Berger
  • Accomplishments/In Progress
  • Met with ED, Marketing Director, and 2VP at
    office to work on marketing plans
  • Met with interim ED and new ED to discuss
    transition
  • Ongoing transition with new ED
  • Put processes in place for monthly Presidents
    email
  • Arranging meeting with Tekom leaders
  • Ongoing discussions about partnerships with both
    non-profit and for-profit groups
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Meetings with ED at ASAE conference in Boston
  • Detailed conference budget
  • Overall budget and financial review
  • Community Business Model Task Force
    implementation
  • Working with Nominating Committee to revise
    processes

12
Communication Area Report
13
Communication Area Update
Area Leads Cindy Currie / Jeff Staples
  • Accomplishments
  • Reviewed comments on Communication Strategy and
    decided to regroup. Deferred until late
    August/early September when schedules allow for
    continued work.
  • Participated in budget discussions for several
    Communication committees.
  • Provided final input into email signatures for
    Office staff use.
  • In Progress
  • Continuing to gather new content for Committees
    and Board web pages. Data gathering nearly
    complete, page building well underway, and
    looking seriously at launch dates now.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Re-launch enhanced Board webpage with
    bios/photos. (Aug)
  • Design and launch Committees web page with
    committee descriptions and bio/photos of
    committee chairs. (Aug-Sep)
  • Develop metrics and measures for STC
    Communication. (Sep-Nov)

14
Communication Department
Office Liaison Maurice Martin
  • Accomplishments
  • Press release STC Joins INTECOM
  • Call for volunteers for STC Web site
  • Press release Susan Burton becomes ED
  • Web columnistfirst column turned in to Webmaster
  • In Progress
  • STC and LISA
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Intercom articles on Minneapolis
  • Issues, Risks, and Concerns
  • Are STC members getting too much e-mail from the
    office?

15
Member Communication Committee
Chair Brenda Huettner
  • Accomplishments
  • Fresh Eyes team reviewed press releases and
    messages, and made suggestions before they were
    sent to the membership
  • In Progress
  • Continuing to create communication guidelines
  • Establishing Fresh Eyes process
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Complete and issue guidelines
  • Continue building team
  • Formally announce and publicize Fresh Eyes team

16
Publications Committee
Chair Karen Field
  • Accomplishments
  • Chose survey tool for member surveys (Survey
    Monkey).
  • Set Publications budget with Communication
    Director.
  • Determined that no committee members are
    necessary, but that an advisory committee is.
  • In Progress
  • Contacting potential advisory committee members.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Begin working with editors to draft survey
    questions.
  • Identify how and when membership will receive
    survey.

17
Website Committee
Chair Bogo Vatovec
  • Accomplishments
  • Approved charter by the sponsors and STC
    Executive Director.
  • Issued a first call for volunteers via
    Presidents email message.
  • Budget proposal approved.
  • In Progress
  • Public call for volunteers (this week).
  • Contact STC SIG managers for volunteers.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Conduct a volunteer briefing.
  • Start usability and user requirement activities.

18
Professional Development Area Report
19
Professional Development Area
Lead Linda Oestreich
  • Accomplishments
  • All committees working and on or ahead of
    schedule.
  • In Progress
  • See individual committee reports.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • See individual committee reports.
  • Upcoming Newsworthy Events
  • Large Grant Proposal Award needs LOTS of
    PUBLICITY!

20
Competitions Committee
Chair Karen Baranich
  • Accomplishments
  • Sent reminders to chapters to submit competition
    information to office
  • In Progress
  • Review and redesign competition website
  • Review of materials used by chapters/regions for
    training, judging, etc.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Continue review of all existing materials
  • Begin rewrite of guidelines and managers handbook
  • Complete website redesign
  • Strategic planning for all competitions
  • Issues, Risks, and Concerns
  • Need advertising for competitions in publications
    of partnering organizations

21
Professional Recognition Committee
Chair Suzanna Laurent
  • Accomplishments
  • All committee managers are achieving their goals.
  • In Progress
  • Work progressing according to their set
    deadlines. See next slide.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Mostly accepting nominations and determining
    winners.
  • Upcoming Newsworthy Events
  • Simon Singh is the Honorary Fellow and Keynote
    Speaker for 2007.

22
Professional Recognition Committees
Chair Suzanna Laurent
  • Jay R Gould Award Committee
  • Deadline 16 October, candidates notified by 10
    December
  • Article published in Intercom notifications on
    CPTSC and ATTW listserv
  • Currently receiving nominations
  • Frank R Smith Award Committee
  • Judges identified
  • Winners notified by 28 February 2007
  • Honorary Fellows Committee
  • New judge joined committee, replacing one who
    resigned.
  • Activities coordinated with Conference Planning
    Committee.
  • Looking for Honorary Fellow and Keynote Speaker
    for 2008.
  • Associate Fellows and Fellows Committee
  • Article published in Intercom.

23
Standards Council
Chair Annette Reilly
  • Accomplishments
  • STC is now a member of OASIS (JoAnn Hackos,
    representative).
  • Continued to vote on ISO JTC 1 SC7, IEEE, and
    NISO standards.
  • Draft ISO 26514, Standard for developers and
    designers of user documentation, has been posted
    for STC Member comment through mid-September.
  • Arranged for a reaffirmation ballot for IEEE
    1063-2001, Standard for software user
    documentation, until ISO 26514 is finally
    approved.
  • Arranged for IEEE to ballot for adoption of
    ISO/IEC 15289, Standard for systems/software
    life-cycle documentation.
  • Negotiating an agreement to include the PMI
    Glossary in ISO 24765, Standard software and
    systems engineering vocabulary. Development near
    completion for the public site to host the
    vocabulary, provided by IEEE-Computer Society.

24
Standards Council
Chair Annette Reilly
  • In Progress
  • Meeting is being set up with the Korea chapter
    when ISO JTC 1 SC7 WG2 is in Seoul on November 1,
    2006.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Complete draft of ISO 24765, Standard software
    and systems engineering vocabulary. Finalize the
    public version of the online application.
  • Continue participation in ISO, IEEE, OASIS, W3C,
    and NISO activities.
  • Participate in ISO JTC1 SC7 US Technical Advisory
    Group meeting Sept. 18-20, Seattle.
  • Participate in ISO JTC 1 SC7 WG2 and lead WG22
    meetings in Seoul, October 30 to November 3.
  • Participate in OASIS technical meeting in London,
    November 18-20.

25
Standards Council
Chair Annette Reilly
  • Issues, Risks, and Concerns
  • Would like to arrange a concurrent WG2 meeting
    with an STC North American conference in October
    2007.
  • Upcoming Newsworthy Events
  • JoAnn Hackos agreed to write an Intercom article
    on opportunities for STC members to participate
    in OASIS, especially for DITA standards.

26
Research Committee
Chair Rachel Spilka
  • Accomplishments
  • Coordinated the process of 10K and large grant
    proposals committee review.
  • Worked with Intercom Editor on final edits for
    the fall article featuring this committee.
  • Progress reports from specific committees
    available upon request.
  • In Progress
  • Summarizing committee rankings and comments on
    the 10K and large grant proposals in preparation
    for conference call on August 16 to achieve
    committee consensus on decisions and
    recommendations.

27
Research Committee
Chair Rachel Spilka
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Discuss committee decisions and recommendations
    before the end of August once approved,
    notifications will be made to winners and others,
    with close cooperation between committee and
    office.
  • Provide Intercom Editor with information for news
    bites by Sept 15 deadline.
  • Work closely with recent/new award winners for a
    longer Intercom piece due by Oct 15.
  • Upcoming Newsworthy Events
  • PUBLICITY FOR LARGE GRANT AWARDS!

28
Certification Evaluation Task Force
Chairs Jon Baker and Dan Wise
  • No report.

29
Marketing Area Report
30
Marketing Area Update
Lead Mark Clifford
  • Accomplishments
  • 1st draft of marketing charter out for review
  • Marketing meeting at STC office
  • In Progress
  • Defining budgetary requirements
  • Marketing Plan formal presentation in October
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Presentation at October board meeting

31
Organizational Partnerships Committee
Chair Andrea Ames
  • Accomplishments
  • Created list of all organizations we want to
    engage and send to Director of Membership and
    Marketing and Marketing Area Lead for review and
    prioritization.
  • Completed business model template (with help from
    Membership Lead)
  • Business case sent to Marketing Area Lead and
    Membership Area Lead for quick review prior to
    August Board meeting.

32
Organizational Partnerships Committee
Chair Andrea Ames
  • In Progress
  • Ongoing partnership discussions with targeted
    associations.
  • Create World Usability Day (WUD) vision statement
    and Web page on STC website.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Finalize committee members.
  • Initiate high-priority partnership discussions
    and assign to appropriate liaisons.
  • Complete STC WUD vision statement and develop Web
    page content.

33
Sponsorship Committee
Chair Sally Spahn
  • Accomplishments
  • Spoke to Director of Membership and Marketing and
    the Executive Director to define my role
    (society-wide and conference-wide).
  • Contacted Membership Area Chair to discuss
    corporate value program to see how we can work
    together.
  • Requested business model template from
    Organizational Partnerships Committee Chair.
  • In Progress
  • Beginning work on exhibitor sales kits to promote
    corporate sponsorships at the annual conference.
  • Recruiting members to work on Sponsorship
    Committee
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Work with committee on charter and strategic
    plan.
  • Work with Executive Director on conference
    planning and vendor exhibits.
  • Contact Region 2 Conference representatives to
    discuss potential international corporate
    sponsors.

34
INTECOM
Chair Suzanna Laurent
  • Accomplishments
  • Invited INTECOM to hold next Annual General
    Meeting (AGM) in Minneapolis.
  • Press release due out this month
  • In Progress
  • Is STC interested in submitting a proposal for
    Forum2008?
  • Public Relations Chair and Member Communication
    Chair working on announcement articles.
  • Set date and location for next AGM. Decision from
    INTECOM expected by 25 August.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Prepare minutes (for Secretary General who
    resigned).
  • Start review of Constitution/Bylaws.
  • Upcoming Newsworthy Events
  • External Press release imminent.

35
Public Relations Committee
Chair Rich Maggiani
  • Accomplishments
  • Found three volunteers to write a PR Primer.
  • Calls scheduled for promoting Region 2 conference
    and discussing branding and positioning exercises
    for BoD meeting.
  • In Progress
  • Defining our STC-related PR audience.
  • PR Primer.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Write goals and objective PR committee charter.
  • (Re)evaluating STC brand.
  • Distribution list for publicity and clipping
    service.
  • Press/Media kit defining and budgeting.

36
Communities Affairs Area Report
37
Communities Affairs Area Update
Chair Sherry Michaels
  • No report (vacation).

38
Community Recognition Committee
Chair Tom Barnett
  • No report.

39
LCR Update
Chair De Murr
  • Accomplishments
  • Begin Planning for Leadership Day (working with
    Conference Committee).
  • In Progress
  • Fill management positions.
  • Contact all leaders in former Region 2 and Region
    3.
  • Defining criteria for a Community in Crisis
    (Triage Committee).
  • Defining criteria for Volunteer of the Year Award
    (Recognition of Leaders Committee).
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Develop and publish LCR business plan for 2006-07.

40
Virtual Communities
Chair Judith Herr
  • No report.

41
Community Business Model Task Force
Chairs Mike Murray and Susan Burton
  • Accomplishments
  • Increased Task Force possibilities to 15, working
    with 3-4 others, expect at least 2-3 drop-outs.
  • Edited survey questions.
  • In Progress
  • Finalizing Task Force membership.
  • Developing official acceptance and welcome
    letter.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Hold first conference call in September.
  • Have draft of model ready for February Board
    meeting.

42
Region Reports
43
Region 1
Director Cindy Currie
  • Accomplishments
  • Chapter rebate letters are arriving and some
    chapters are expressing concern. Made connection
    between one chapter and office (Executive
    Director) for further discussion.
  • Accepted invitation to present at NNE chapter
    program meeting in January 07.
  • In Progress
  • Working on topics for upcoming monthly director
    articles for chapter newsletters and websites.
  • Planned (1-3 months)
  • Visit Connecticut Chapter board this week
    (Thursday, August 17) to discuss how to
    revitalize the chapter.
  • Hold conference call with Eastern Ontario chapter
    President and Vice President next week (Tuesday,
    August 22) to discuss how to revitalize the
    chapter.

44
Regions 2 and 3
Director LCR
  • How can we get updates from these regions?

45
Region 4
Director Bob Dianetti
  • No report.

46
Region 5
Director Sherry Michaels
  • No report (vacation).

47
Region 6
Director Jim Romano
  • No report.

48
Region 7
Director John Hedtke
  • Accomplishments
  • Korea Chapter ratified.
  • In Progress
  • China chapter
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Ratifying China chapter
  • Increase N.A. sponsorship as possible.
  • Speaking at a couple of R7 chapters.
  • Issues, Risks, and Concerns
  • Work schedule, move to new house in late
    September.

49
Region 8
Director Beau Cain
  • No report.

50
Education Area Report
51
Education Area
Lead John Hedtke
  • Accomplishments
  • Conference Call for Proposals is out
    (submissions deadline is early September).
  • Training Phone meeting, divvied up tasks, have a
    website with a wiki for calendar, docs, and
    spreadsheets.
  • Academic liaison Developed mission statement and
    6 goals.
  • In Progress
  • Conference Discussions on certificate programs
    and partnerships.
  • Training likely to be initially outsourced
    brought inside long-term. Team looking at topics
    in 5 areas and choosing one from each.
  • Conference and training budgets

52
Education Area
Lead John Hedtke
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Conference Discussion/approval of speaker
    compensation policy developing policies on
    certificate programs (with Training) and
    partnerships.
  • Academic Liaison conference call (today), layout
    tasks, designing a survey.
  • Issues, Risks, and Concerns
  • Conference Thanks for ideas for additional
    things they could do, but they have their hands
    full at this point for 2007.
  • Upcoming Newsworthy Events
  • None at present. Certificate programs will be
    worth talking about when ready.

53
Governance Area Report
54
Nominating Committee
Chair Vici Koster-Lenhardt
  • Accomplishments/In Progress
  • Drafting charter and goals
  • Reviewing bylaws and candidates guidelines
  • Developing timeline/schedule
  • Reviewing potential candidates preparing
    documents to send to candidates
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Review by legal counsel to ensure process is in
    compliance with New York law
  • Issues, Risks, and Concerns
  • For future using Nominating Committee to
    identify and groom future leaders

55
Membership Area Report
56
Membership Area Update
Lead Jim Romano
  • In Progress
  • Continuing work on Corporate Value Program (CVP).
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Executive Director, Director of Membership and
    Marketing, Marketing Area Chair, and Membership
    Area Chair planning a 3-day London blitz a
    series of meetings with UK- and European-based
    companies of several sizes and types who may be
    candidates for the CVP. Goals are
  • Increase CVP participation and awareness in
    Europe
  • Increase membership, via CVP participation
  • Maximize the ROI of our trip to the UK

57
Membership Growth Committee
Chair Beth Tanner
  • Accomplishments
  • Confirmed market segments for upcoming year based
    on selection criteria.
  • Coordinated focus with other Membership Area
    Chairs.
  • Began work on STC Value Proposition Assignment.
  • In Progress
  • Charter for growth and template for segment
    charters.
  • Collection of base year member counts by segment.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Recruit and orient segment champions.
  • Complete segment charters and growth target
    numbers.

58
Corporate Value Program
Chair Mary Kabza
  • Accomplishments
  • A general description of the CVP and its benefits
    has been drafted and approved (based on agreement
    with Computer Associates).
  • In Progress
  • Drafting charter and goals.
  • Posting a general description of the CVP online
    (www.stc.org).
  • Making initial contact with interested
    organizations.
  • Planning a phone conversation with Computer
    Associates (the CVP pilot company) to discuss
    their thoughts on the CVP so far.
  • Planning October meetings in London.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Contacting existing and past STC sustaining
    organizations about their interest in the CVP.
  • Meetings will be held in London (Oct 9-11) with
    possible CVP organizations.
  • Issues, Risks, and Concerns
  • Need for personal contacts within possible
    organizations (cold calling is not the best
    approach for this program).

59
Global Membership Committee
Chairs Kit Brown and Mak Pandit
  • Accomplishments
  • STC Korea Chapter formed.
  • In Progress
  • STC China chapter being formed (need more
    members).
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Identify champions for each market segment.
  • Issues, Risks, and Concerns
  • Concern We should be able to give more direct
    benefit for international members. They miss the
    local events in North America because of the
    geography.
  • Upcoming Newsworthy Events
  • Global membership should be promoted at the
    Regional Conference in London. Maybe there should
    be a banner allocated to membership promotion.

60
Secretarys Report Administration and Operations
Area Report
61
Secretarys Update
Secretary Char James-Tanny
  • Accomplishments
  • Modified conference call PPT file for use by area
    leads and committees. Added Upcoming Newsworthy
    Events to slides per PR Committees request.
  • Updated the Contact information file distributed
    to board and office.
  • Submitted Secretarys budget to STC Treasurer.
  • Participated in SIG Funding Pilot conference
    calls.
  • Sent updated organizational charts to office for
    uploading to STC site requested changes to
    charts.

62
Administration and Operations
Lead Char James-Tanny
  • Accomplishments
  • Hold meeting with Technology Committee.
  • Submitted Admin Ops budget to STC Treasurer.
  • Determine which items to put on hold due to
    website redesign.
  • In Progress
  • Move conference calls to Skype (to save money).
  • New Board Member information packet.
  • Planned (Next 1-3 months)
  • Draft Technology Charter.
  • Help gather information on Association Management
    Software (AMS).
  • Add Admin Ops section gt Technology sub-section
    to STC Forums. Describe what we do, describe our
    current needs and priorities, and request
    volunteers.

63
Calendar
64
Calendar Items
  • Schedule of teleconference meetings
  • 20 September 2006 (slides due 19 September)
  • 15 November 2006 (slides due 13 November)
  • December??
  • Next face-to-face Board Meetings
  • 12-13 October 2006 in London
  • 2-3 February 2007 in Arlington, VA
About PowerShow.com