A. Loss of appetite especially as a result of disease
B. An eating disorder common among young women of normal or nearly normal weight that is characterized by uncontrolled binge eating followed by guilt
To preoccupy the mind excessively
5 Understanding the writers ideas
1. Adolescent girls generally dissect their physical flaws so that many are uncomfortable when gym class forces them to wear revealing clothes.
2. Seventy percent of African-American girls were satisfied with their bodies and 90 percent of white girls were dissatisfied.
6 Understanding the writers ideas
3. Black girls saw their mothers getting more beautiful with age whereas white girls felt their mothers were only beautiful in their youth.
4. Whereas white teens saw Kate Mosss measurements as perfection black teens thought beauty was having the right attitude as well as full hips and thick thighs.
7 Understanding the writers ideas
5. White twenty-something TV actresses in hit shows like Friends are reed thin whereas black shows depict women looking sizable.
6. Two hundred years of cultural differences. The white middle-class dream of making it as being able to make yourself over. But in the black community there is the reality of not making it easily.
8 Understanding the writers ideas
7. They are seen as healthy and fertile. This may be attributable in part to decades of preaching black is beautiful.
8. White girls diet more and have higher rates of eating disorders than black girls.
9. An editor of a black womens magazine feels that black girls should be careful to balance weight gain and healthy eating.
9 Understanding the writers techniques
1. In par. 2 the idea of how black and white girls view their bodies makes it clear that the entire essay will shift between comparing the two groups. And it does!
2. Students should note that the writer constantly switches between the two groups in an all A/all B paragraph style.
10 Understanding the writers techniques
3. By ordering the statistics in terms of comparison.
4. Very little is made of men until par. 8. But that is the only reference. This essay seems targeted for women.
5. The writer uses a question as transition to shift the essays focus to a new direction.
11 Understanding the writers techniques
6. Every paragraph has a topic sentence (TS) including par. 4. A question can imply a TS.
7. The last sentence of the conclusion actually brings the two subjects together in this way Maybe thats where Queen Latifah meets Kate Moss. The final point is asking black and white teenage girls not to got an extreme of heavy or thin.
12 (No Transcript) 13 Reference
Medical dictionary med
Eating disorder The Facts of Eating Disorders and Self eatingdisorders
Anorexia Anorexia nervosa from anguish to elation
PowerShow.com is a leading presentation/slideshow sharing website. Whether your application is business, how-to, education, medicine, school, church, sales, marketing, online training or just for fun, PowerShow.com is a great resource. And, best of all, most of its cool features are free and easy to use.
You can use PowerShow.com to find and download example online PowerPoint ppt presentations on just about any topic you can imagine so you can learn how to improve your own slides and presentations for free. Or use it to find and download high-quality how-to PowerPoint ppt presentations with illustrated or animated slides that will teach you how to do something new, also for free. Or use it to upload your own PowerPoint slides so you can share them with your teachers, class, students, bosses, employees, customers, potential investors or the world. Or use it to create really cool photo slideshows - with 2D and 3D transitions, animation, and your choice of music - that you can share with your Facebook friends or Google+ circles. That's all free as well!
For a small fee you can get the industry's best online privacy or publicly promote your presentations and slide shows with top rankings. But aside from that it's free. We'll even convert your presentations and slide shows into the universal Flash format with all their original multimedia glory, including animation, 2D and 3D transition effects, embedded music or other audio, or even video embedded in slides. All for free. Most of the presentations and slideshows on PowerShow.com are free to view, many are even free to download. (You can choose whether to allow people to download your original PowerPoint presentations and photo slideshows for a fee or free or not at all.) Check out PowerShow.com today - for FREE. There is truly something for everyone!